Tuesday, July 18, 2006

To Fear Or Not To Fear

People in the Bible who were confronted by God or his angels all had one consistent response - FEAR. To each of them, God's response was always the same - DON'T BE AFRAID. As soon as they sensed that God accepted them and wanted to communicate with them, their fear subsided. He had given them freedom to be his friends. Has he given you the same freedom?

Person:
Abraham
After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great." Genesis 15:1

Moses
But the LORD said to Moses, "Do not fear him, for I have given him into your hand, and all his people and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon, king of the Amorites, who lived at Heshbon." Numbers 21:34

Joshua
Now the LORD said to Joshua, "Do not fear or be dismayed. Take all the people of war with you and arise, go up to Ai; see, I have given into your hand the king of Ai, his people, his city, and his land. Joshua 8:1

Zacharias
But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your petition has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will give him the name John. Luke 1:13

Mary
The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. Luke 1:30
Shepherds.
Luke 2:10

Peter
and so also {were} James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, "Do not fear, from now on you will be catching men." Luke 5:10

Paul
"For this very night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood before me, saying, 'Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar; and behold, God has granted you all those who are sailing with you. Acts 27:23-24

JOHN
When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades. Revelation 1:17-18

Jesus is your Messiah, your Savior. Do you look forward to meeting him in prayer and in his Word each day? Have you discovered a Lord so wonderful that you can't help sharing your joy with your friends?

The good news about Jesus is that he comes to all, including the plain and ordinary. He comes to anyone with a heart humble enough to accept him. Whoever you are, whatever you do, you can have Jesus in your life. Do not think you need extraordinary qualifications - he accepts you as you are.

"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." Genesis 28:15

1 comment:

Mark Lowenstein said...

Whoo hoo!! Love this blog, man!! You helped not only me, but others to see that we shouldn't be afraid of anything. For the Lord is in control, regardless!! Thanks for this "fearsome" reminder!