Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Morning Prayer

"Pray always," St. Paul says in his letter to the Thessalonians. (1 Thessalonians 5,17)

Paul wants prayer to be part of our daily life. But that's not easy. As soon as our eyes open in the morning we're often in a rush. Get ready! Go! And we're off to work or school or gym or travel or the chores of the day.

Morning prayer gets us ready for what the day brings. St Basil, a wise 4th century saint from Asia Minor, said:

"We pray in the morning to give the first stirrings of our minds to God. Before anything else, let the thought of God gladden you."

Begin the day by seeking God's blessing, the saint advises. God meets us in the morning not as a taskmaster, but as a loving presence who strengthens and gladdens us for the day.

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want." Psalm 22

Prayer - and it may be just a short prayer - enables us to begin the day, not alone, but with God. It raises and gladdens our tired spirits that so easily lose their appetite for life. It provides a strengthening grace so that we enter the day, not groaning, but hoping in our Savior and our God.

"Why are you cast down my soul, why groan within me? Hope in God. I will praise him still, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42

And what about living our day wisely? We need wisdom in our words, thoughts, and in the choices we make. Why not ask for the wisdom of God?

"Lord, teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain wisdom of heart." Psalm 90

Before going into the day, let's pray.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20

We need Jesus in our midst, so we need to pray together with other believers.

No comments: