Thursday, April 14, 2005

Real Friends

Jesus climbed into a boat and went back across the lake to his own town. Some people brought to him a paralyzed man on a mat. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, "Take heart, son! Your sins are forgiven." "Blasphemy! This man talks like he is God!" some of the teachers of religious law said among themselves. Matthew 9:1-3

Dear brothers and sisters, I love you and long to see you, for you are my joy and the reward for my work. So please stay true to the Lord, my dear friends. Philippians 4:1-9

Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of highest privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory. Roman 5:2

Real friends are friends that help us find Jesus and let him minister to our needs and full of obstacles. Like the unnamed friends in this story, we must come to realize that the best thing we can do for a friend is help that friend lead to Jesus. Our faith can make a huge difference in the lives of those closest to us. What's so amazing about Jesus is that he ministers to our real need, not just our apparent need. The key is seeking him, and helping others find him. He'll do the rest, working his will in our lives if we're truly willing to let him take control of our own. Of course, he will work on what we most need, not necessarily what we most want. Unfortunately, there will always be those who will criticize us, along with Jesus, for doing his work. "It doesn't fit the way things are normally done," they would accuse. "Exactly," I imagine Jesus saying, "something needs to be done differently enough to be truly redemptive. That's why I came!"

It is written to Timothy, my true child in the faith. May God our Father and Christ Jesus our Lord give you grace, mercy, and peace. 1 Timothy 1:2

Prayer:

Dear Father,
I surrender to you all of my life. I confess that there are parts of my life and my heart that I sometimes try to keep hidden from you. But this story of Jesus reminds me that the only person I'm fooling and hurting is myself. Heal what is broken in me. Take a look at it all, and humble me gently and anew me by your salvation grace. I thank you for being present to comfort, protect, lead and empower me to face each situation with confidence. Because you are with me, I know I will have all I need to live victoriously for you until the day I go to share with you in your glory.

In Jesus' name.
Amen.

1 comment:

Mark Lowenstein said...

It takes alot of courage to be "real friends" to others in their time of great need. But sometimes, those who are in great need do not see us as "real friends". When we're pointing them to Jesus, they're expecting us to lead them to something that they can see, taste, touch and feel the physical healing power. They aren't interested in spiritual guidance but physical. They want the "seen possibilities" than the "unseen impossibilities". That's why it becomes extremely hard to work with difficult people, even Jesus had a hard time with the Pharisees who refused to see the truth and be changed!

"You are My friends if you do what I command you." John 15:14 (NAS)

It is my prayer that the world will see us as their "real friends" instead of having them treat us as "real enemies".

When they hold Jesus has their Friend, then they will, easily, see us as their "real friends". Then Jesus will fulfill their "real need".

Thanks, Dennis, for blogging this!