Monday, April 18, 2005

Come, Be My Disciple...

Authority

As Jesus was going down the road, he saw Matthew sitting at his tax-collection booth. "Come, be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him. Matthew 9:9

As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at his tax-collection booth. "Come, be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Levi got up and followed him. Mark 2:14

If you want to be my follower you must love me more than your own father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters – yes, more than your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26

I will prove that I, the Son of Man, have the authority on earth to forgive sins." Luke 5:24

Jesus have the authority to forgive sins. He has the authority to command sinners to follow and they follow. They respond with a change of heart and behavior. An example, Matthew the tax collector - tax collectors in Jesus day were renown for using their position for personal gain and were associated with traitors who sold out to the Roman occupiers. He is a great witness that Jesus cares for all and goes in search of all. He is a great reminder that redemptive love allows no cultural and social barriers to love.

Matthew's response is the great reminder that many sinners are looking for a Savior. All they need is someone to show them how to get him.

Prayer:
Dear Father,

Thank you for coming to this world to save sinners. Thank you for your son, Jesus. I thank you for the grace and mercy you've given to me. Please help me be more gracious to others and come closer to your grace and forgiveness.

In Jesus' name I pray.
Amen.

1 comment:

Mark Lowenstein said...

Dennis, thank you for this, "Come, Be My Disciple" blog. Personally, I am proud, extremely proud to follow Jesus! And I praise God for their sacrifices.

I pray that those, whose heart are set on Jesus and His Word, will actually surrender their lives, time, possessions, jobs to fully live to serve God in the world! It seems in the world, today, that it's hard to leave what they have: home, security, job, friends. When Jesus came to Matthew, the tax collector, He simply said, "Come, be my disciple." No "ifs" or "suppose" or any discussions. Matthew got up and followed! No questions attached. No regrets! :)How often do we see this today? Too few!

Many of us do not want to live a full surrender to serve God because of friends, families or even their jobs. Life is so short, more and more people are dying without Jesus! "Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.'" Mt. 9:37 (NIV)