Thursday, September 15, 2005

Prayer and Bible Study

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

Pay Attention To God and His Word

I plan to keep on reminding you of these things – even though you already know them and are standing firm in the truth. Yes, I believe I should keep on reminding you of these things as long as I live. But the Lord Jesus Christ has shown me that my days here on earth are numbered and I am soon to die. So I will work hard to make these things clear to you. I want you to remember them long after I am gone.

For we were not making up clever stories when we told you about the power of our Lord Jesus Christ and his coming again. We have seen his majestic splendor with our own eyes. And he received honor and glory from God the Father when God's glorious, majestic voice called down from heaven, "This is my beloved Son; I am fully pleased with him." We ourselves heard the voice when we were there with him on the holy mountain.

Because of that, we have even greater confidence in the message proclaimed by the prophets. Pay close attention to what they wrote, for their words are like a light shining in a dark place – until the day Christ appears and his brilliant light shines in your hearts. Above all, you must understand that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophets themselves or because they wanted to prophesy. It was the Holy Spirit who moved the prophets to speak from God. 2 Peter 1:12-21

While the false teachers claimed prophetic words of a future judgment were made up, the Peter aserts that the prophiets were empowered by the Holy Spirit. ( Jeremiah 20:9) And I can't stop! If I say I'll never mention the LORD or speak in his name, his word burns in my heart like a fire. It's like a fire in my bones! I am weary of holding it in!

What is God saying to you about His Word ( the Bible )?

Why do you think it was so important for Peter to emphasize the divine inspiration of God's Word in verses 2 Peter 20:21?

20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophets themselves
21or because they wanted to prophesy. It was the Holy Spirit who moved the prophets to speak from God.

2 comments:

Mark Lowenstein said...

Den,

You need to add the "spaminator" by going into blogger.com, 'COMMENTS', and put "yes" to show word verification for comments. This will help prevent those nasty spammers from raiding the blogworld! :) Let's annihilate them with word verification!!

Mark Lowenstein said...

(whistling)

I'm waiting for a feed on PRAYER, brudda!! ;)