Friday, May 27, 2005

Only Jesus Knows

My Father has given me authority over everything. No one really knows the Son except the Father, and no one really knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Matthew 11:27

The New Testament makes strong claims for Jesus. These claims are not just based upon the conclusions of men, but go back to several claims of Jesus. While these claims are most clearly seen in the Gospel of John (the "I Am" statements of Jesus and the emphasis on the Son knowing and doing the Father's will), they occur in the other Gospels as well. In this statement, Jesus is claiming to be the only one to really know the Father and his will. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus speaks as one who has authority, making clear the will of God. As he leaves the earth, he does so with all authority in both the spiritual realm ("in heaven") and in the physical realm ("on earth"). The bottom line for Jesus' followers is what we do in response to Jesus as Lord. What we believe about him and who we believe him to be determine everything of lasting and eternal value in our lives.

Jesus prayed this prayer:

Then Jesus prayed this prayer: "O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, thank you for hiding the truth from those who think themselves so wise and clever, and for revealing it to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way! Matthew 11:25-26

Dear Father,

Thank you for sending Jesus so I could know you and your will. Your love and kindness in sending him has given me confidence that when I stand before you in judgment, it will be to hear you say, "This is my child, whom I love, and in whom I am well pleased." For this hope, I offer you my praise and my life.

In Jesus' name I pray.
Amen.

No comments: