Monday, August 29, 2005

Mustard

Just a Mustard Seed

It is like a tiny mustard seed. Though this is one of the smallest of seeds
Mark 4:31

Jesus replied, "You stubborn, faithless people! How long must I be with you until you believe? How long must I put up with you? Bring the boy to me." Then Jesus rebuked the demon in the boy, and it left him. From that moment the boy was well. Afterward the disciples asked Jesus privately, "Why couldn't we cast out that demon?" "You didn't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I assure you, even if you had faith as small as a mustard seed you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible." Matthew 17:19-20

Small mindedness is not the worst of things. Smallness in faith is the worst thing. Small mindedness keeps us from seeing the plan of God.
Small in faith means we see little more than what we can pull off ourselves. Jesus had said that he gave his followers authority to cast out demons and cure diseases. The issue is not whether they were capable or had the power. They simply had very small faith. They lost faith that Jesus would do what he said he would do. So many of us lost that faith. Jesus reminds us that it doesn't take alot -- just a mustard seed amount. If that's there, then incubated with faith it becomes powerful and mighty.

Father,

You are glorious and majestic. Your deeds areawesome. I ask you to grow my faith stronger and bolder. Father, I beleive, but help me believe even more. I will seek to serve you trusting in your supply of power and strength. Lord, use me.

In Jesus name I asked.
Amen.

It is like a tiny mustard seed planted in a garden; it grows and becomes a tree, and the birds come and find shelter among its branches. Luke 13:19

"Even if you had faith as small as a mustard seed," the Lord answered, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'May God uproot you and throw you into the sea,' and it would obey you! Luke 17:6




1 comment:

Mark Lowenstein said...

I love the taste of a "strong, yellow mustard"!!! On my hamburgers and hotdogs, man, they taste so good. Everytime I put down a mustard on the food I am about to eat, I think of Jesus' parable containing the "mustard seed". Having faith as small as a mustard seed is something that blows us away. If we're not getting answers to life's problems through prayers or support, it appears that our faith is much smaller than the smallest seed, mustard seed! It is like, "Yikes! Man! I don't have a faith that small! I have a microscopic faith! What shall I do?

It takes time to build your faith with God, even from the microscopic faith. You will grow to learn God's patience and potential. He's waiting for us to understand He is able and we're unable, He is powerful and we're nothing but a human weakling!

Thanks for reviewing the parable(s), man! It shows you're hungry to learn and understand God's awesome ways!! Glad He is our Awesome God!!